CIM & Mokahum | Ministering with Natives

We've been in MN for four months, and we're really feeling like this is home.

FELLOWSHIP
We have been attending a small Alliance church in Cass Lake, and I'd guess there are about 30 people there on a busy Sunday. We know pretty much everyone there, and that has been an encouragement and source of light and strength for us. We appreciate the fellowship with believers! God is giving us open doors for relationships with Natives and non-Natives alike.

OUTREACH
Mokahum Ministry Center has been our biggest connection and involvement so far.
Nikki (Amy's Mentee) and Brian in Tim's Work Module

Teacher Tim
Because the students' schedules are on a block-type module schedule, each group is in the same class for a week or two together, then they take their next class together the following week, etc. One teacher all day for five days and the class is finished. Tim is leading the students this week in their Work Module, so he has First, Second, and Third Year Students together for one big Class. They are working on finishing the Pantry and Kitchen areas.

Chef Amy
The students have lunch together with their instructors and whichever staff are around. They eat family style in the main building. Zane hasn't found a Cook for everyday on campus yet, so he split up the duties between other staff members. Our church in Cass Lake prepares and serves the meal on Mondays, and Cassandra (Ladies' Resident Director- she lives on campus) Takes Tuesdays, I'm Wednesdays, the Pizzeria in Cass Lake has graciously offered meals for the group on Thursdays, and Zane is doing "Lunch with the Director" on Fridays.

Late last week, our Director, Zane, asked if I would be willing to be the Wednesday Food Coordinator. So, that's a new part of what I'm doing. I started this week, and we'll see where this goes. I won't always be able to make the meal, but I can at least find some volunteers or something if I can't. My hope is that I can use this day as a way to get others more involved with Mokahum and the Center for Indian Ministries' mission. Maybe someday I'll have a big ol calender filled with names on Wednesdays for people who'd like to prepare, shop for, or serve a meal with me!

Feverish Cody
Cody's had a weirdly high temp since Friday. It was 104. something when I took his temp and has slowly been decreasing. He was 98. something yesterday afternoon, but over 100. last night again. He was 101 today now. I am praying he just needs to fight something off. At least his body is working against something. Pray for him to be back to normal!



Well, that's a brief update on our little life. God has been using us in ways we didn't expect.
I'm mentoring Nikki- a first year student who's about my age. We're meeting once a week, and that's going well so far! Tim's teetering on a balance of working with Ken and being at Mokahum. We are both beginning involvement at Cass Lake Alliance with  Music. We hope to do some type of worship team or something at some point! Hooray!


Love,
Amy (for Tim, Cody, and the Mag-dog)

Comments

Popular Posts