4th Anniversary Getaway to the North Shore



4 years ago, Tim and I got hitched were married at the Grand Superior Lodge in Two Harbors, MN. We were already enamored with the beauty of Lake Superior's North Shore, but now it holds a more special meaning for our family. Our relationship, formed and founded in Christ, was united in celebration with our family and dear friends along the Lakefront on Sept 21, 2008. We have since then, not been back to Two Harbors.

UNTIL...

Last weekend!!!! Tim, Cody and I packed up the van, put Maggie in the back, and headed East. We hadn't been East on Hwy 2 before, so that was a fun part of the trip, seeing something new. We enjoyed the enormous amount of color painting the scenes before us as Tim drove under the early afternoon sun. We were nearing Floodwood, when I decided to call mom and ask her where Grandma Vi's cemetery is. She gave us easy directions, and we found it right along the Hwy, a great spot to stop, take a break, and walk around our family's graves.

It was a beautiful, peaceful few moments for me to take it all in. I loved seeing both the Isaacson (grandma) and Valo (grandpa) family names/gravestones. The memories of Grandma flew into my mind, and I laughed aloud by myself, thinking that she'd be saying something to me like, "Oh, go fly a kite" or "Well, tee tee tee tee la ti da!"

Then, we headed into Duluth, and had coffee with my younger step sister, Jessica, who is in her freshman year at UMD. Tim threw out the idea to go down to Canal Park when we were pulling out of the campus, and I said, Sure!! We found a great parking spot in front of the Duluth Pack store (we only window-gawked, knowing we couldn't afford anything) and walked toward the pier and the lift bridge. I tried to get some Mini-Donuts, but Tim suggested we wait until we've at least gone to look at the water. OH-Kay :( I can wait. We were walking toward the Lighthouse when appeared our friends John & Melissa and the three kids! WHAT!? Tim thought he'd for sure given away the surprise, but I had ZERO thought of anyone or anything other than our own little agenda (do nothing but enjoy time away). So, I was SO pleasantly surprised to see this sweet family.  We watched a big ship come in under the lift bridge, then got mini-donuts and walked to the playground by the Aquarium.









It was such a fun evening together with friends. I guess John was also going to surprise Melissa, but it became a non-surprise for her. That's ok :) They were just also up seeing Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse for the day, so the guys (co-workers for Ken Berge Construction) made the fun plans up to meet. I'm glad it worked out!

After we left Duluth, we were cold and tired, and had dinner at the Rustic Inn (where we got our pies for our wedding) before checking into our little cabin for the night. We LOVED staying at the Gooseberry Trailside Suites and definitely recommend the place! Privacy, space, kitchen, fireplace, deck, two bedrooms, and a great view of the Lake in two directions! They have a big sauna, and the property butts up with the Gooseberry Falls State Park Trails.

We had a super lazy morning, drinking coffee, having a fire, and watching the sun come up over beautiful Lake Superior. It was seriously one of the best parts of the trip. And it was a great trip, so that's saying a lot! Then, we went to Split Rock State Park, and just looked at the lighthouse, we didn't go up it. Everyone loved the water!





I love this picture of both me and Mags... Tim took it and it turned out great! Way to go, Tim!!


I'm Sweet on that Man.

THEN we ate lunch at a little picnic table in Gooseberry Falls camping/picnic area. Tim was being funny, and a total goon! I loved having special one-on-one time with him while Cody slept in the van a hop, skip, and a leap away. I love my husband! He's a good guy.

We had such a fun, special day together. It was SO wonderful!


Cody patiently waited for me to take a ton of "artsy" waterfall pictures... He and Tim were poking Maggie with sticks. See his upper teeth, too!? He has three on top, and two on bottom!

Tim and our 14 month old Son.


artsy waterfall try

artsy waterfall, another try at it.

cutest kid this side of the mississippi

"patiently waiting"

then we left, and went home.




Comments

The Adamack's said…
These are all such fantastic photos of you all. Such an adorable sweet family. The one Tim took of you and Maggie is great!! I love Cody's little orange vest, he's such a stud. Love the North Shore, your wedding and your family!!
theKastenpup said…
:) Thanks, sister! It was such a great getaway, and we TRULY felt relaxed, and did everything we wanted to do... for me, that meant being with my fam, taking (too many) pictures, and crunching leaves under my feet. It was perfect. MISS YOU! !! !! !! !! !!

Popular Posts