Meaning in the Mundane | Leaning into the daily grind that influences Christlikeness

I've mentioned quite a few times how much I loved the books "Loving the Little Years" by Rachel Jankovic and "Treasuring Christ, Gospel Hope for the Busy Mom" by Gloria Furman. Both of these books are easy to read, but packed full with truthful quips and scriptures to influence me away from grumbling and into delight. In womanhood, I have learned that the Lord will deliver me, He is faithful, He has already bought me out of the evil kingdom of Satan and into His kingdom! Hallelujah!

Today I have the urge to share with my friends, mamas who are tired and weary. He will carry our burdens with us. I am a mom to four kids who are 8 and younger. For the last few (8!?) years I have had ups and downs. I have had disappointments. I have failed. Oh, have I failed. But by the redeeming grace and Love of my FATHER GOD, I have been called out of darkness each time. Into his marvelous light! Again, I rejoice! May these moments and seasons, and years grow me closer to Him always! Not just while they are little kids, but more even so as they get older.

There have been days (weeks/months/seasons) where I put my trust accidentally into myself and my husband. I thought that if he only helped me more, it would be easier. I thought that if he could be the one to say what the kids needed, I would have less stress. I thought that if my husband could just "step up a little and help" everything would get easier. Everything would just, work better. Well guess what? He already WAS helping, encouraging, and leading our family. But he is also human. He was tired, stressed and busy too! Our worlds were different everyday, sure. He is a carpenter. He is an income provider.


He was doing a great job! But I was tired, weak and troubled, and instead of allowing the Lord complete control over my life, I gave Him these moments of "quiet time" and devotionals, and praise songs, but I wasn't giving Him my kids. I wasn't giving Him my whole days. I was ordering my days completely wrong. I saw it as my duty to take care of everyone, but I didn't look to the proper guide, my Father, to lead me and show me how. I checked in with Him, and then thought Tim and I were supposed to do it all after that.


Hah! What a ridiculous idea.










Now, as I'm saying these things it makes it sound like I wasn't getting help or anything from anyone. In reality, I have amazing people in my life! My husband, our parents, our friends, friends of friends and church family have astounded us and blessed us in so many ways. Like, we are outrageously loved!!! But my point is that it was hard to see that in the MOMENT. In the mundane moment when I have to move my mouth to say "go make your bed" I have to choose wisely a tone. In the mundane moment when I have to move my feet to switch out the laundry again AND put it away, I have to choose a glad heart. In the mundane moment when I didn't make a plan for what's for dinner, I have to take out something from the freezer and get that onion sizzling. I have to find the strength from the Lord, find the meaning in the mundane and get right with HIM to do those things.




But that is where I have been.


Amazingly enough, now I see how in the daily grind, I can put my FULL trust in Him and be rewarded with peace, comfort, light burdens, and wisdom. I see that I can give my every day's tasks to Him, too. Laundry, dishes, meals and (cringe!) grocery-shopping. Sibling squabbles and walks to the bedroom to tidy, wiping butts and fighting toothpaste battles, pjs and sandbox play time. Buckling seatbelts and playing games. I can give these mundane moments to the Lord. There is meaning in the mundane. And, I knew those words were true, even when I was a child. I knew my parents had to do stuff just to train us up in the ways we should go. I know they had to go through the daily grind, just becasue... but it didn't hit home for me until I let myself drag on the floor for too long trying to do too much "alone" and pouting about not having help from my husband, parents, friends, kids, church family... I can find joy and take delight when I give my day--or new challenging moment in a day-- to the Lord. But it does take self-discipline. It takes work. It takes the get-at-it and get-over-my pities work.













I want to share an excerpt with you from something Gloria Furman wrote, and I have read a few times since it was published at The Gospel Coalition in 2013. This is from an article titled "God Rules the Mundane" and you can read the whole thing here: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/god-rules-the-mundane/


"My life is all things ordinary.
I need this message of grace and hope every single day. That’s because sometimes I launch into full-blown pity parties like the one you just read about. I used to think this sour kind of attitude about homemaking was necessary, acceptable, and even a rite of passage. After all, a common encouragement to someone in the midst of the trenches in homemaking or raising children is to console them with thoughts of “this, too, shall pass.” We “grin and bear it” and talk about everything we’re going to do “someday” when we “get our real life back.”
Those colloquial phrases used to be the summation of my hope. I believed that if I could just get through this awful and seemingly interminable season, then I would come out on the other side bruised and worn down; but at least it would be over. Perhaps then I would be free to serve the Lord with gladness, and I would be content.
But I was wrong.
When I attended a marriage conference taught by Paul Tripp, he said something that devastated me. Tripp said, “If God doesn’t rule your mundane, then he doesn’t rule you. Because that’s where you live.” Dramatic, life-altering moments come only a few times during our lifetime—that’s why they’re dramatic. The rest of our lives are lived in the common, ordinary mundane.
Home managing is my ordinary. Regardless of what your normal is, I’m sure we can agree that that’s where we live."
The part that sticks out to me is that quote from Paul Tripp. We live in the mundane. And if I am going to let God rule my life, my life better be evident of that! I want others to SEE CHRIST IN ME. And if I'm living in the mundane, that mundane better look like it is ruled by the Savior of the world! I want it to look like it is ruled by the King of all Kings, the Lord of allllll the Lords. Lord over Laundry, Lord over social media, Lord over parenting, Lord over marriage. LORD OF ALL.

"If God doesn't rule your mundane, then He doesn't rule you. Because that's where you live. "


Uuufda. Yep, that's what I wanted to share today. I hope it can offer you some type of encouragement and maybe a little fire under your seat. Sometimes I need to just get my thoughts out of my head, and I don't know what it looks like when it gets out on paper/the screen. But in my heart, the Lord is working. My gears are turning, and i just wanted to share it :)

I would love any insight or correction you want to share. I am growing and learning everyday!

Love from Wildwood Home + School,
Amy

Comments

Popular Posts