Northern Lights | Finding Rest in our Lord

The other night, the boys came in from sledding in the dark. It had been a long day of low attitudes mixing with tired bodies. There was arguing and nit-picking for several days while Tim was out of town, and I sent the kids outside to let their energy out in the snow and through play. I figured I could use a few minutes inside, and I prayed for the Lord to renew my spirit before bedtime that night. I didn't want to let the day end with discord, I wanted to start fresh before they went to sleep. As the children came through the door, I heard them quietly discussing "who was going to tell mom" and immediately I thought the worst of them; I assumed they had found some sort of trouble or mishap out of doors and were hoping they didn't have to be the one to confess.

I was wrong.

They stomped up the steps and simultaneously shouted (as they had decided to share the announcement) "MOM! The northern lights are out!"
It was totally dark, but still early in the evening and I didn't know if they were really seeing the Aurora Borealis or rather just some city light glow from town. So, I ran to the window, and sure enough... they were out.

The Northern Lights were shining! And they were quiet but spectacular. I put my Mukluks on, grabbed a jacket and went to observe.

THANK YOU LORD!

They instantly filled my heart with joy, gave me that assurance that comes only from the Lord, and poured into me that restart that I so desperately needed that night.

We watched them, standing still, beams of light. We watched them for about ten minutes before getting chilled. The kids went in, and I took a few pictures. After an hour and a half, they started to fade. It was unlike most times when I have seen the northern lights. They were a little farther East than usual, and they were skinny. The didn't shift much, and they surely weren't moving or disappearing in taunting hints like they sometimes can. They just stood there, solid and firm. It was beautiful.




Comments

Popular Posts