Starting a new season of quotes

Since I have been quite unpredictable with when I wrote in this blog, I have decided to try something different. I would like to try to post quotes or small photos or books that I am enjoying or dwelling on. Perhaps they'll be from Little Women, Anne Shirley, or maybe even Jane Austen's myriad collection. Hmm. I know I have a lot of fulfilling thoughts or favorite quotes mentioned in scripture, and I will hope to mentioned them as well.

I will start today off with a funny one from L.M Montgomery, in Anne of Windy Poplars.


"'But I love children, Rebecca.'
"Children, yes, but them's holy terrors, Miss Shirley. Mrs. Raymond doesn't believe in punishing children no matter what they do. She says she's determined they'll have a "natural" life. They take people in by that saintly look of theirs, but I've heard what her neighbors say of them. The minister's wife called one afternoon... Well, Mrs Raymond was sweet as sugar pie to her, but when she was leaving a shower of Spanish onions came flying down the stairs and one of them knocked her hat off.

"Children always behave so abominably when you 'specially want them to be good," was all Mrs. Raymond said... 

Kinder as if she was rather proud of them being so unmanageable. They're from the States, you know' ... As if they explained everything. Rebecca has about as much use for 'Yankees' as Mrs. Lynde has."


(Anne of Windy poplars, the third year)

Comments

Popular Posts