Crying it out. Yikes.

Since last week, Cody's schedule has been off a little... I think he's been going through a growth spurt, and we had the time change for Daylight Savings Time. He is waking earlier in the mornings, (between 4-6am since the time change, and 6:30 is when I used to have to wake him up) and having a harder time falling back asleep in night time or day time sleeps if he awakes while still tired or should be sleeping. The hardest part is that he gets so tired, from not taking as long of naps... he's still been taking them, just shorter, and more frequently. Unfortunately, his being overly tired makes for SUPER unpleasant car rides :( You know I work everyday. I have the biggest blessing: I'm able to take Cody with me. However, this means he's also along for the 45 minute commute to and from work at 7:15am and at 5:15ish pm. YIKES... this is getting SO HARD. He's been sleeping probably 3 out of 4 days to work, but, coming home, he only sleeps like 1 out of 4, and that's like only half the drive. The rest of the days and times, he's crying. And if you've met Cody, you know he is SO loud. Like, just his happy coos and soft grunts are LOUD. Now, picture him wailing in the Sienna, yelling to be cuddled. He loves to be moving: bounced, rocked, walked, swung, swaddled, on his belly. He really has a hard time being confined to his car seat, or falling asleep on his own.

So, Wednesday and Today, I have been working on letting him learn to fall asleep on his own. I am one tough cookie, but he's even tougher. Hearing him cry makes me want to cry. I'm starting with just sitting still with him while he's falling asleep, not swinging or walking, or bouncing, etc... Just sitting. We're also trying to establish a routine, so he recognizes the comfort of sleeping at nap times and bed time. Right now this looks like me and him, sitting on our bed (because our room is his room, too) at home, or in the office (his suedo nursery at the Dolan's) and calmly reading him a book. Then I lay him in the pack and play and pat him or rub him while I pray with him. I may sing a song, too... He loves the hymn Blessed Assurance. I've had to go back into the room a few times to return the pacifier to the empty mouth, but other than that, it hasn't taken more than 15 minutes each time for him to fall asleep. And, it's been getting shorter with each trial too! However, Tim and I still appreciate your prayers during this week of transition for our little tiny bundle of loud baby love. It is so hard for ME, but I know it is best for the long run, and it will only make the future transitions easier.

The bummer: I know his schedule and routines will need to be adjusted and develop right along with his changes and growth. But that is quite alright. It's good.

The car rides are the worst. Pray specifically for those. THANKS.




Comments

Popular Posts