My Thimble Collection | a lifetime of memories

This morning I took out my thimble collection. It’s been sitting a shoebox-bin for several years. I just hadn’t found a place to hang them up in our house, and only took them out a few times to look... it was really fun to touch each one with my kids this morning, telling them of each place, time,  or person it symbolized. Even in these little pieces of my collection, there is meaning and memory. I wanted to list them out. In no particular order.

-Not a thimble: my Salolampi pin. I attended camp at Concordia Language Villages four times as a child, living at Salolampi, a Finnish language immersion camp. So much special wrapped into a tiny pin! SISU 🇫🇮 My mom and her family are 100% Finn, and this always felt pretty special to me. I like hearing people’s heritage and family history.

-“DANIEL WEBSTER FLOUR” aluminum classic sewing thimble from Grandma Shirley Anne Wilken DeBoer, my dad’s mom.

-Ceramic white with a red bird, also a special one to me was one of my first collected. I think grandma or Great Grandma Anne gave it to me from their own collection

-Ingalls House from Burr Oak, Iowa

-Toledo, Spain : from my trip in high school.

-Mackinac Island : my marching band trip from parade in a Traverse City, MI

-“Eisenhower Boyhood Home” our family visited Ike’s house in Abeline Kansas as a kid.

-Copper Mountain, Colorado. We took a handful of summer family trips to Copper Mountain as a kid. We rode the chairlift with our bikes and bikes down the mountain. We also biked the trail to Frisco, and took the bus back to Copper with our bikes on the front of the bus’s bike rack.

-Edinburgh, Scotland Trip with my Sister

-Tallinn, Estonia. Tim bought for me while we were dating and he went to his friend’s Wedding in  FINLAND.

-FINLAND my sister bought for me, either in a trip with Joe or with all the rest of our family on a trip I couldn’t take.

-Red quartz flower from my parents trip to Mexico. Thimble from Tijajuana.

-Wyoming

-Little Bighorn Montana. From a missions trip to Crow Agency with my 8th Grade Students.

-Belize. Missions Trip with Koinonia Youth Group in High school

-Arizona. I think my mom bought me this one when she went to Bryce Canyon etc with her dad, Grandpa George Valo

-Barcelona, Spain. I got this at the Gaudi museum on a trip in high school.

-Eiffel Tower, Paris France. I got this on our trip in high school

-Sacre Coeur, Paris France from high school trip

-Iceland, I bought this in Rekjavik with my sister. Will never forget this trip, and riding horses along the coast.

-Utah. From Challenge Nationals Youth Conference with EFCA. These years were a marking  point in my faith in Christ.

-Walt Disney World, Florida. Trip with my family in the 90s. I got so many signatures from the characters in my autograph book too!

-Atlanta, Georgia. Golf trip to the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and other courses in Alabama.

-Albany, NY. Dad brought this back for me from a work trip, or something? I don’t remember?

-white ceramic with blue, from a new friend in college as a gift. I felt so known at this thoughtful Christmas gift.

-Seattle, WA also from another college friend. Now home to my sister and dad.

-Precious Moments JULY. My birthday month.

-Badlands, South Dakota. I’ve driven though several times.

-North Dakota. I remember scouting gift shops and gas stations for this beautiful one. There aren’t many “sights to see” in ND :) so it was hard to find one at all.

- Chicago, Ill. Not sure if this is from our Marching Band Trip, college visit trip with my dads and Brenda Hall, or from my girls trip my mom, Julie and Leah Karels.

-Juneau AK, from Mom and Ken or Alicia.

-Alaska Dog Sledding. From Alicia on a trip for work. She visits Salmon fisheries, Grizzly bears and bush planes!

-blue quartz thimble. I can’t remember but I know it was one of my first collected thimbles.

-Split Rock lighthouse, from home state of MN. Tim and I later were married a few miles south down the shore of there in 2008.

-Missouri






Comments

Popular Posts